Friday, August 1, 2008

See me see trouble

My recent visit to Nigeria I would say seems to be the most productive of all my trips to Nigeria. I prepared a schedule of things before I flew into Nigeria, and I fulfilled almost all excerpt for visiting my friends homes. – I am very bad at visiting people in their homes or residences; it’s the same for me even here in MD. I have friends that I have known since elementary school who have visited my home, my fathers home town and stayed with us for months and I on the other hand have never stepped foot into their house. So I placed visiting of friends on my to do list for this Nigeria trip and it is the only thing I did not accomplish.

Well, visiting of friends was not a smart item to put on my schedule since I was attending a wedding and not just any wedding, my brothers wedding. I was occupied from the moment I landed in Nigeria and told my peeps eku ile, to the time I said
au revoir. Me being me, I sent out text messages to all of them (just two ooo don’t mind me, I am bad at keeping in touch with people so I have only two people left as friends and my other family members know that this is typical of me and have always looked the other way) and asked for forgiveness and will make sure that I make it my priority to visit them when next I step foot on the shores of Lagos.


From the moment I landed in Lagos to the time I left, I had people asking me for money. These people were in no way or form related to me ooo egba mi, My brother the one that got married and I decided to charge our dead phones at the kiosk before immigration, the one provided by GLO for this purpose. We were challenged by a guy who had no uniform on and no badge on him to move to the long que at immigration. When we explained to him that our phones were dead and we were only charging it while we waited for the long line to subside, he told us that we had to go through immigration first, and then come back to charge our phones. We ended up embarrassing him; my brother told him that wouldn’t he confront us if he saw us do exactly what he had just told us to do, i.e. go through immigration and then comeback through to charge our phones. To avoid further argument, we joined the line and went through to Immigration. Then at the Immigration desk, the officer who stamped my passport wanted to know why I did not have a visa in my Nigerian passport and after my explanation, my question to him was when did Nigerians with a valid Nigerian passport begin to need visa’s to enter Nigeria. He knew that I had him in a corner and asked what I brought for him.

Story of trip to be continued…..

3 comments:

Ebony said...

Haha, welcome to my world.. LOL, enjoyed this one

Oropo said...

Thanks ebony for stopping by.

Chari said...

Naija people...

Person don land from yonder = Plenty Money dey for pocket

awaiting the concluding part o ur gist o....